Low Profile Tires
Low Profile Tires are tires with a shorter sidewall height and a wide tread. Considering low profile tires? These are some key advantages to making that switch:
- Low profile tires typically have wider contact patches on the road
- These tires tend to offer enhanced traction and grip when it comes to steering and handling performance
- Optimal sidewall stiffness is one of the advantages that come with low profile tires
- Low profile tires tend to be more visually appealing
There are however, a few things you'll want to consider first:
- The feel of steering may change
- You may encounter an increase in noise
- Driving comfort levels may change
If you'd like more information relevant to purchasing tires, explore our helpful tips to buy tires guide.
Why Performance Tires?
Characteristics of Performance Tires
Performance tires typically feature the same basic elements as standard passenger tires; only they have been fine-tuned to maximize performance attributes. Below you'll find a description of these elements:
- Apex - usually made stiffer and wider than standard passenger tires in order to enhance cornering power.
- Chafer - some feature rim flange protectors to help protect wheels and provide lateral stiffness.
- Belts - usually at a lower angle than standard passenger tires, making it more responsive.
- Overlay - material and layup facilitate higher speed ratings.
- Tread Cap - compounding for both wet and dry traction.
- Tread Pattern - uses less blades and aggressive blocks in order to enhance handling capabilities.
Performance Tire Technology
Performance tires are developed and fine-tuned for an enhanced driving experience. Some of the features that go into a performance tire that allow it to provide driving enjoyment are:
- A short, low profile sidewall to offer enhanced cornering
- Large tread blocks for dry traction and grip
- A stiff and wide apex to enhance cornering power
- Lower angle belts to allow for enhanced steering response
- Optimized compounds to enhance grip and traction on both wet and dry roads
At Goodyear, some of our sport performance tires feature these unique technologies:The
- Eagle® F1 Asymmetric All-Season features TredLock technology for both wet traction and grip in turns.
- The Eagle® F1 GS-D3™ tires offer V-TRED™ technology for wet traction in ultra-high performance driving situations
- Active CornerGrip® technology is featured in our Eagle® F1 Asymmetric tires